- NATIONAL REVIEW [Obamacare and Hobson’s Choice. … The government isn’t forcing anyone to buy health insurance so much as it is offering them a choice].
One persistent argument in the individual-mandate PP-ACA debate is that it’s not a mandate at all: The government isn’t forcing anyone to buy health insurance so much as it is offering them a choice: buy insurance or pay a higher tax bill (which proponents sometimes call a “fee” or “penalty”; they also sometimes say that this fee/penalty/whatever would be weakly enforced). Here are some follow-up questions for people who hold this view:
2) If you don’t characterize all laws this way, does the difference lie in the severity of the consequence the government imposes? If that’s what makes the constitutional difference, what if future Congresses slowly ramped up the penalty level? At some point would the mandate become an actual mandate? If so, at what point would the Court be justified in treating the mandate as a mandate?
-By Ramesh Ponnuru @rameshponnuru http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/295274/
- EXAMPLE: Obamacare and Hobson’s Choice:
- EXAMPLE: Hobson’s Choice or Morton’s Fork 101–Which is the US Senate Faced With? What does the Drug Quality and Security Act Represent?
Please leave comments or submit professional experiences or anecdotes about your own Hobsonian Choices as a federal or state governmental official [Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Tri-Care or Medicaid], public, population health, Prison or Indian Health Systems administrator, etc]; right here.
- Public: https://hobsonschoicemedicine.wordpress.com/
- Private: MarcinkoAdvisors@msn.com
Note: E-mail submissions may be named, or anonymous. OR; you may use the survey form below.